Eastport in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fort at Horn Point
Built in 1776, the fort had major defenses of trenches, earthen ramparts and fifteen cannons. In 1781, when Lafayette was stationed at Annapolis, his troops made the fort fully operational. The trenches provided cover for troop movements between the ramparts and the water's edge.
During the Civil War, the fort served as a hospital for Union soldiers recovering from smallpox. No trace of the fort remains today.
Text with upper-left photo: An artist's concept of the fort at Horn Point after 1794.
Text with main photo: Lafayette's troops camped some distance from the fort on Benjamin Ogle's Horn Point Farm, at the near end of the Spa Creek drawbridge.
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, Annapolis Maritime Museum, Four Rivers Garden Club.
Location. 38° 58.386′ N, 76° 28.611′ W. Marker is in Eastport, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Chesapeake Avenue and Horn Point Drive, on the right when traveling east on Chesapeake Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Murphy's Row (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eastport's Oldest House (about 700 feet away); The Glass Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); Three Great Boat Yards, One Location (approx. ¼ mile away); The Start of Something Big (approx. ¼ mile away); Eastport's Soul (approx. ¼ mile away); Welcome to Eastport (approx. ¼ mile away); The Maritime Tradition Lives On (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastport.
Regarding The Fort at Horn Point. The site of Fort Horn is actually one block south of the marker, at the end of Chester and Eastern avenues.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Military • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,679 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 24, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.