Near Benwood in Marshall County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Marshall County/Ohio County
Formed in 1835 from Ohio. Named for Chief Justice John Marshall. In Marshall County is Grave Creek Mound, first among remains left by the unknown race which lived in the Ohio Valley centuries before the white man came.
Formed in 1776 from West Augusta. Named for the river which bears an Indian name meaning "Beautiful River." Scene of last battle of the Revolution, 1782. Visited by La Salle, Celoron, Gist, Washington, and later explorers.
Erected by West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
Location. 40° 1.963′ N, 80° 43.481′ W. Marker is near Benwood, West Virginia, in Marshall County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 2 2.4 miles south of Interstate 470, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Benwood WV 26031, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mail Pouch Tobacco (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wheeling High School World War II Memorial (approx. one mile away); South Side World Wars Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bellaire High School Clock Tower / Central School Clock Tower and Bell (approx. 1.4 miles away in Ohio); Union Square and its Uses / The Question of Ownership (approx. 1.4 miles away in Ohio); Civil War Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away in Ohio); Benwood Mine Disaster (approx. 1½ miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away in Ohio).
Also see . . .
1. Marshall County, WV. Official Site (Submitted on July 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
2. Welcome to Ohio County, West Virginia. Official Website (Submitted on July 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 304 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.