Near Pasadena in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Harvardís Mount Wilson Station
Erected 1910 by Edward C. Pickering, Harvard College Observatory.
Location. 34° 13.447′ N, 118° 3.781′ W. Marker is near Pasadena, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on Mt. Wilson Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is just inside the fenced-off complex of television and radio antennas, just before you get to the main parking lot on Mount Wilson. Marker is in this post office area: Pasadena CA 91107, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Benjamin Davis Wilson ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Michelson Pier on Mount Wilson ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Christmas Tree Lane ( approx. 5.1 miles away); Santa Anita During World War II ( approx. 6 miles away); Seabiscuit ( approx. 6 miles away); Pacific Asia Museum ( approx. 7 miles away); Pasadena Robinson Memorial ( approx. 7.1 miles away); Pasadena Public Library ( approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pasadena.
Regarding Harvardís Mount Wilson Station. During the late 19th century, barely a trail
Although Pickering failed in his efforts to secure permanent title to the land for Harvard, the short-lived station proved that Wilsonís Peak had the frequent clear skies and air quality needed for serious astronomical work. In commemoration, Pickering erected this brass plaque in 1910. In a sense, the pioneering station had paved the way for George Ellery Hale, with funding from Andrew Carnegie, to establish the far more famous Mount Wilson Observatory that is still in operation at the summit.
Much of the above information is adapted from the histories of Harvard Observatory by S. I. Bailey (1931)
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 469 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.