Manitowoc in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
County Hospital Cemetery
The Manitowoc County Insane Asylum was established in 1884 by the Manitowoc County Board of Supervisors on 57 acres of farmland located on the southwest side of the city of Manitowoc (betwen Hamilton and Division & 21st and 26th Streets). It later expanded to over 250 acres with a hospital, barns, outbuildings, fields, gardens and livestock. Gustav Mueller of Reedsville served as the first superintendent; his wife Anna was matron. In 1949 a new facility known as the Manitowoc County Hospital was built on Calumet Avenue in Manitoweoc. The name was changed to the Manitowoc Health Care Center in 1973.
The Manitowoc County Cemetery grounds were improved and headstones restored by a Beautification Committee of local concerned citizens in 1995. The large granite Memorial Marker was dedicated on May 20, 1996.
Erected 1996 by Manitowoc County Historical Society.
Location. 44° 5.723′ N, 87° 41.695′ W. Marker is in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, in Manitowoc County. Marker is on Meadow Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3854 Meadow Ln, Manitowoc WI 54220, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Potter's Field Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Military Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Court House and Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Wampum or Mexico (approx. half a mile away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); G.A.R - H.M. Walker Post 18 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Sexton House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manitowoc.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2012, by Kent Salomon of Manitowoc,, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 331 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 8, 2012, by Kent Salomon of Manitowoc,, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.