Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Revolutionary War in Petersburg
By the time the British had pressed their advance, the American militia had arrived at the bridge supported by an artillery battery posted on Baker’s Hill in what is now Colonial Heights. The Americans fought a fierce battle at the south end of the bridge. As the outnumbered Americans withdrew, they removed the plank flooring of the bridge to impede a British attempt to cross the river. By dark,
On May 10th, American Major General Lafayette’s artillery shelled the British in Petersburg from across the river while an American supply train and reinforcements crossed the Appomattox upriver heading for American forces to the south. On May 13, 1781, General Phillips died of fever in Bollingbrook, a local estate owned by the Bolling family, and was buried at Blandford Cemetery. A few days later, Cornwallis finally arrived and combined the British forces. Cornwallis left Petersburg a few days later on his way to Yorktown and the eventual British surrender.
The Cockade City and the War of 1812
In 1812-15, America fought Britain in our “Second War for Freedom.” On September 1, 1812, the United States Government requisitioned 1,500 armed militia from Virginia. Petersburg’s militia, numbering some 75 men, was armed, equipped, and trained for war. The company made a long march to northern Ohio to the falls of the Maumee River. Upon arrival, the company joined others to construct a massive fort named Fort Meigs. In early May, the British and their Indian allies began a siege of the fort.
The Petersburg militia distinguished itself on May 5, 1813, the heaviest day of fighting during the siege. Along with other companies, they left the fort to attack a British artillery position. They charged the British positions, captured and spiked the British guns, and drove the enemy into the forest. Seventeen of Petersburg’s volunteers were wounded in the attack. Three of them died of wounds. General William Henry Harrison commended them for bravery. The Petersburg company was discharged with ceremony and commendations at Detroit on October 17, 1813. President Madison called Petersburg “The Cockade City of the Union” after seeing the Petersburg Volunteers on their return, wearing hats with leather cockades or emblems.
Two other residents of Petersburg were heroes of the War of 1812: General Winfield Scott commanded regular troops in campaigns in Canada, defeating the British in several engagements. Scott became Chief of the United States Army. He conquered Mexico in the Mexican War. Then as head of the United States Army, he devised the Union strategy to strangle the South in the 1861-65 War. Lieutenant Colonel Abraham Eustis distinguished himself in the campaigns along the Canadian border, Fort Eustis, Virginia, is named for him.
Erected by City of Petersburg.
Location. 37° 13.988′ N, 77° 24.266′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Old Street and Rock Street, on the right when traveling east on East Old Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 E Old St, Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. African-Americans in Petersburg (here, next to this marker); Arts & Recreation (here, next to this marker); Petersburg Museums (here, next to this marker); Architectural Heritage (here, next to this marker); Pamplin Historical Park (here, next to this marker); Petersburg National Battlefield (here, next to this marker); Petersburg’s Natural Parks (here, next to this marker); Petersburg Region (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
More about this marker. The marker contains several photographs with the captions:
British Commander Major General William Phillips
Major General Friedrich von Steuben
Every April the City hosts a reenactment of the battle fought at Battersea on April 25, 1781.
An archaeological excavation one block west, exposed the foundation of the Golden Ball Tavern, seen above. Built in 1760 by Richard Hansen, an English tobacco merchant and an outspoken loyalist, the tavern was commandeered for officer quarters during the British occupation of Petersburg in 1781.
The hat at left was made for the Petersburg Museums to match the description of the one worn by Petersburg troops during the War of 1812. The black rosette was called a cockade.
The McRae monument at Blandford Cemetery commemorates Petersburg’s contribution to the War of 1812.
The map above was drawn by John Hills. The caption is Sketch of the Skirmish at Petersburg between the Royal Army under the command of Major Genl. Phillips and the American army commanded [sic] by Major Genl. Steuben in which the later were defeated April 25, 1781 copied from a sketch of Lt. Spencer by I.H. Hills, Lieutenant 23d Regt. & Asst. Eng’r., at Endicott.
Revolutionary War reenactment at Battersea.
Categories. • War of 1812 • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 455 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 10, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.