Changes Through Time
Scusset Creek which flowed westerly around Sagamore Hill into Scusset harbor was permanently altered when the Cape Cod Canal was constructed between 1909 and 1914. The eastern entrance to the Canal is now one mile southeast of the original entrance to Scusset Creek. What was once a brackish water river winding around Sagamore Hill, has been filled with dredged material from the canal construction and is now a fresh water marsh.
In comparing the two maps one can observe that the area where Scusset Harbor had once been is now a foredune upon which houses have been built.
Erected by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Location. 41° 46.85′ N, 70° 31.015′ W. Marker is in Sandwich, Massachusetts, in Barnstable County. Marker can be reached from Scusset Beach Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in Sagamore Hill Historical Area. Marker is in this post office area: Sagamore Beach MA 02562, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Environment • Native Americans • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 11, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.