Cobbs Hill Park / Cobbs Hill
Cobbs Hill Park
Public land first acquired for the city's second distributing reservoir. Completed 1908. Capacity 144,000,000 Gallons. George Eastman donated land along Culver Road 1909 and with the financial help of other citizens the city purchased land east of the reservoir in 1912. Widewaters Field north of Norris Drive purchased from New York State, 1922. Total Area 128 Acres.
Eastern End of the Pinnacle Range. Outstanding example of frontal moraine left by the melting edge of the ice sheet at the close of the recent ice age. Composed of boulders, sand and gravel. Height 140 feet. Gideon Cobb (1791-1864). Pioneer land owner, tavern keeper and brickmaker lived on the southeast corner of Monroe and Highland Avenues.
Erected 1978 by City of Rochester.
Location. 43° 8.502′ N, 77° 34.552′ W. Marker is in Rochester, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is on Culver Road 0.1 miles north of Norris Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rochester NY 14620, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Widewaters Field (here, next to this marker); Portage Trail
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Natural Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 12, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.