Near Broadalbin in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Johnson Hall - 1763
—Historic New York —
Coming from Ireland in 1738, Johnson traded with the Indians and acquired great influence over them. After defeating the French at Lake George in 1755, he was created a baronet and made Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Northern Colonies. In 1766 he ended the Pontiac uprising, and in 1768 negotiated the Treaty of Fort Stanwix.
At Johnstown, which he founded and colonized, Johnson Hall stands as a monument to his constructive achievement.
Erected 1961 by New York State Education Department.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 43° 3.063′ N, 74° 12.149′ W. Marker is near Broadalbin, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on New York State Route 29, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in the trees at a roadside pull off just west of Broadalbin, and east of the recent Route 30 - Route 29 roundabout in Vail Mills. The marker is over 10 miles away from Johnson Hall in Johnstown. Marker is in this post office area: Broadalbin NY 12025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. 1849 Plank Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hotel Broadalbin (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1879 Fire (approx. 0.6 miles away); Veterans Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Nick Stoner Hut (approx. 0.7 miles away); Broadalbin Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Home of Robert W. Chambers (approx. 0.8 miles away); Chase's Mills (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Broadalbin.
Also see . . .
1. Johnson Hall State Historic Site. (Submitted on July 12, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Friends of Johnson Hall. (Submitted on July 12, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Sir William Johnson Johnson Hall
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 12, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.