Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Stockade 1658

 
 
Old Stockade  1658 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
1. Old Stockade 1658 Marker
Inscription.
Site of
Old Stockade 1658
southwest bastion

Plan of
Stockade
Fort (F) and
Streets
Kingston
(Wiltwyck)
1658

 
Erected 1927 by New York State.
 
Location. 41° 56.123′ N, 74° 1.12′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is at the intersection of Clinton Avenue and N Front Street, on the right when traveling north on Clinton Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located across the street from the Senate House. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston NY 12401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Senate House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Evolution of the Senate House (within shouting distance of this marker); A Community Attic (within shouting distance of this marker); Senate House Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Senate House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Radical Idea: Government by the People (about 300 feet away); The Loughran House (about 400 feet away); The Stockade Historic District (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
 
More about this marker.
Old Stockade  1658 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
2. Old Stockade 1658 Marker
The Senate House can be seen across the street from the marker.
The top of the marker contains a layout of the stockade.
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
Marker on Clinton Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
3. Marker on Clinton Avenue
Marker in Kingston image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
4. Marker in Kingston
The marker is located at the site of the northeast corner of a stockade that was built around the settlement here in 1658 to protect the citizens from the local indians. The stockade was mostly gone when the British burned the town more than a century later.
Senate House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
5. Senate House
The marker is located across the street from this 1676 house. It was used by the Senate of the State of New York until the British burned the town on October 16, 1777.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 12, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement