Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hoffman House

 
 
Hoffman House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
1. Hoffman House Marker
A City of Kingston Designated Landmark marker can be seen above the Hoffman House marker.
Inscription.
Built by Nicholas Hoffman 1711
on part of Crown Grant of land
made to his father Martinus in 1688.

This is the northwest corner of the
Old Stockade.

 
Erected 1965 by Friends of the Senate House.
 
Location. 41° 56.098′ N, 74° 1.371′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is at the intersection of N Front Street and Green Street, on the left when traveling west on N Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 94 N Front Street, Kingston NY 12401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plan of Kingston in 1695 (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Plan of Kingston in 1695 (a few steps from this marker); Kingston Academy (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Kingston Academy (about 700 feet away); Medal of Honor (about 800 feet away); The Pike Plan (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Stockade Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burning of Kingston (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Hoffman House. Hoffman House
Hoffman House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
2. Hoffman House Marker
website. (Submitted on July 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Marker in Kingston image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
3. Marker in Kingston
The marker is located at the site of the northwest corner of a stockade that was built around the settlement here in 1658 to protect the citizens from the local Indians. The stockade was mostly gone when the British burned the town more than a century later.
Hoffman House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
4. Hoffman House
The Hoffman House currently operates as a tavern and is open to the public.
Hoffman House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 12, 2012
5. Hoffman House
The Hoffman House was built in 1711 and is listed on the National Landmark of Historic Places.
British Soldiers at the Hoffman House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 17, 2015
6. British Soldiers at the Hoffman House
The British Army march past the Hoffman House during their invasion of Kingston that ended with the burning of the town.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   6. submitted on October 18, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement