Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Loughran House
Senate House State Historic Site
This Italianate style house was designed by John A. Wood and built in the early 1870s for Dr. Robert Loughran (1834 – 1899) as an office and residence. A surgeon during the Civil War, Dr. Loughran settled in Kingston and became active in local politics. After his death, his family remained in the house until 1907.
Dr. Henry A. Follette leased the house from 1907 to 1927. W. Norman Conner acquired it in 1932 to use as a funeral home and residence. New York State purchased the Loughran House in 1968. Today, Senate House Historic Site uses the house for offices and temporary exhibitions.
Location. 41° 56.063′ N, 74° 1.135′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on Fair Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Senate House State Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston NY 12401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Senate House Museum ( within shouting distance of this marker); A Radical Idea: Government by the People ( within shouting distance of this marker); A Community Attic ( within shouting distance of this marker); Senate House The Evolution of the Senate House ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Stockade Historic District ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Pike Plan ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Senate House ( about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
More about this marker. Four photographs appear on the marker. A c. 1860 portrait of Dr. Robert Loughran, courtesy of the Seward R. Osborne Collection, has a caption of “Dr. Loughran was a surgeon in the 20th New York State Militia. Later in his life he served in the state assembly and was a member of the Medical Society of the County of Ulster.” A c. 1865 wartime photograph of Dr. Loughran and Colonel Jacob Hardenbergh, 20th New York State Militia is at the bottom of the marker. This photo is also courtesy of the Seward R. Osborne Collection. Next to this is a photo of the Southwest parlor on the first floor of the Laughran House, 1973. A photo along the right of the marker depicts the hall stairs with turned balustrade and newel post, 1973. Both of
Also see . . .
1. Senate House State Historic Site. New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation website. (Submitted on July 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Senate House. National Park Service website. (Submitted on July 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 265 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.