Hillhouse Avenue Bridge
In 1848 the canal was replaced by a railroad. Portions of the canal rubble abutments were rebuilt and raised using stepped square cut stone. The railroad era bridge was maintained by the New Haven & Northampton Company until 1887 and then by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Company until it was replaced in 1911. This early twentieth century bridge was constructed of steel "T" beams with a wooden deck and sidewalks on each side supported on cut stone abutments, concrete and canal era dry rubble masonry wingwalls.
In 2009 a vehicular bridge and two pedestrian bridges were erected on this site. They carry Hillhouse Avenue over what is now the Farmington Canal Heritage Greenway while preserving the fascia from the reconstructed stone abutments of the earlier bridges.
Location. 41° 18.771′ N, 72° 55.429′ W. Marker is in New Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is on Hillhouse Avenue when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Hillhouse Avenue, New Haven CT 06511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hezekiah Augur (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert Newman's Barn (about 600 feet away); Simeon Baldwin (about 700 feet away); Roger Sherman Baldwin (about 700 feet away); Simeon E. Baldwin (about 700 feet away); Roger Sherman (about 700 feet away); Nathan Smith (about 700 feet away); Ross Granville Harrison (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Haven.
Additional keywords. Farmington Canal Bridge Railroad New Haven Connecticut
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2012, by Aaron Goode of New Haven, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 7 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 20, 2012, by Aaron Goode of New Haven, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.