Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Marquis de Lafayette
The mansion was built 1816-1819 for Richard Richardson, a Savannah merchant. The basement, of "tabby" construction, is of much earlier date, and contains the original trim of the de Brahm house which once occupied the site.
General LaFayette was quartered here as a guest of the City when he visited Savannah in 1825. He addressed the populace from the south balcony.
The mansion was left in trust to the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1951 by Margaret Gray Thomas whose grandfather, George W. Owens, distinguished lawyer and Member of Congress, acquired the property from the Bank of the United States. It is now a historic house museum.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-26.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. The marker is across from Oglethorpe Square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 Abercorn St, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richardson-Owens-Thomas House ( here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Owens-Thomas House ( a few steps from this marker); Moravian Colonists In Savannah ( within shouting distance of this marker); Barnard House ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gen. James Jackson Home Site ( about 400 feet away); Conrad Aiken ( about 400 feet away); 1812 Wesley Chapel ( about 500 feet away); Colonial Town Gate ( about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . .
1. Owens-Thomas House. (Submitted on February 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. New Georgia Encyclopedia on Architect William Jay. (Submitted on February 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. Ownes-Thomas House
I surely would like to see the name Richardson-Owens-Thomas
Editor's Note: It is interesting to note the name does not include the original owner. Perhaps the Georgia Historical Commission can correct this apparent omission?
— Submitted May 11, 2009, by MaryMargaret Richardson of Kirkwood, Missouri.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,585 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 31, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on November 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on July 22, 2008, by Gawain Atwater of Brunswick, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.