Trenton in Dade County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Created December 25, 1837, and named for Major Francis Langhorne Dade, killed by Indians in Florida, December, 1835. The county seat was first named Salem, then changed to Trenton in 1840.
Outstanding picturesque mountain scenery accounts for the creation of Cloudland State Park. Rich coal and iron deposits have been worked since Ante-Bellum times.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 041-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 52.333′ N, 85° 30.547′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Georgia, in Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 11) and Court StreetAnoth, in the median on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton GA 30752, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trenton ( within shouting distance of this marker); Running Water Creek Bridge ( approx. Chief Wauhatchie’s Home ( approx. 9.3 miles away); Federal-Georgia Road ( approx. 10 miles away in Tennessee); Tennessee AMVETS memorial ( approx. 10.4 miles away in Tennessee); Civil War in Tennessee ( approx. 10.4 miles away in Tennessee); Nickajack Cave ( approx. 10.9 miles away in Tennessee); Love's Ferry ( approx. 10.9 miles away in Tennessee).
More about this marker. The marker stands in front of the Dade County Courthouse.
Regarding Dade County. Another reason for the "State of Dade" nickname: until 1939, there were no roads connecting Dade County with rest of Georgia. The county could only be accessed from Alabama or Tennessee.
The county's official web site is at http://www.dadecounty-ga.gov/
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.