Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Cruft's Division - Granger's Corps.
—Brig. Gen. Walter C. Whitaker —
Cruft's Division - Granger's Corps.
Brig. Gen. Walter C. Whitaker
Nov. 25th, 1863
96th Illinois - Col. Thomas E. Champion,
96th Illinois - Maj. George Hicks,
35th Indiana - Col. Bernard F. Mullen,
8th Kentucky - Col. Sidney M. Barnes,
40th Ohio - Col. Jacob E. Taylor,
51st Ohio - Lieut. Col. Charles H. Wood,
99th Ohio - Lieut. Col. John E. Cummings.
The Brigade, leaving the 8th Kentucky and the 96th Illinois on the summit of Lookout, which position they had been the first to occupy after the battle, reached Rossville Gap at 4 P.M. with Hooker's column, and supported Grose's Brigade in assaulting Missionary Ridge. Approaching the summit, it threw forward the 35th Indiana, and the 51st Ohio onto the left of Grose's front line. The Confederates on the summit of the Ridge were found in entrenchments constructed by Cruft's Division when it was withdrawn from the Battlefield of Chickamauga. The Brigade with Grose's on its right, and Geary's Division moving along the western base of the Ridge, advanced upon the western slope steadily pressing back the thin line of Confederates to a point within about a half mile of the position already reached by the assaulting force on the center. Here the fighting ceased,
Erected 1890 by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number MT-134.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Missionary Ridge, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 marker series.
Location. 34° 59.226′ N, 85° 16.672′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road west of Waheela Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This historic marker is located in an area of South Crest Road with no truly safe area for parking anywhere nearby. This is largely due to the sharp bend in the road, with a lengthy guard rail on one side and a low, stone walled embankment, on the other side of the road, in the area where this marker is located. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 South Crest Road, Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grose's Brigade (here, next to this marker); Cruft's Division (a few steps from this marker); 40th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Cruft's Division 99th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 24th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Cruft's Division (approx. 0.2 miles away in Georgia); Woods' Brigade (approx. ¼ mile away in Georgia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding Whitaker's Brigade. While this tablet identifies both the location and role played during the military action of this particular Brigade, as well as listing the regimental units that make up this Brigade, not all of its listed regiments have individual markers and/or tablets for the park visitor to view. So of the regiments listed for Whitaker's Brigade, all of them except for the 35th Indiana & 8th Kentucky have either a marker or a tablet for visitors to view. In explaining this, the NPS staff state the following,
"There is no indication that there ever were bronze tablets (for these units)...the answer to that question is probably another that would have to be addressed to whatever records survive in the ... state archives respectively (since it was the states that were responsible for
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Use this link to see the Regimental markers, tablets, and/or monuments for this Brigade (except for the 35th Indiana & 8th Kentucky which never had markers).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 23, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.