Hondo in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Medina County Courthouse
During the administration of County Judge B. Brucks, a building contract was let to the construction firm of Martin, Byrne and Johnson. Limestone with a slightly yellowish cast was secured about six miles north of town from the ranch of Joe Decker. Completed in 1893, the new courthouse provided office space for the County Judge, tax assessor, treasurer, attorney, county and district clerk, and featured a large district courtroom on the second floor.
Between 1939 and 1942, changes to the courthouse were made, including the addition of two two-story wings. Stone for the new wings was secured again from limestone deposits on the Decker Ranch.
The classical revival courthouse exhibits some influences of the Italianate style. Prominent features include the rusticated stone walls, classical portico over the entryway, a broken triangular pediment, and stone hood molds with incised eastlake designs.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3313.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 16th St., Hondo TX 78861, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree (a few steps from this marker); Hondo (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vandenburg (approx. 4.7 miles away); Battle of the Arroyo Hondo (approx. 5.4 miles away); Town of Quihi (approx. 7.5 miles away); J.M. Koch's Hotel (approx. 8.4 miles away).
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,904 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 27, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.