Denver in Denver County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Rocky Mountain News
Property of the State of Colorado
On this site stood the original home of
Rocky Mountain News
First newspaper established in
the Pike's Peak Gold Region
Founded by Wm. N.Byers, April 23, 1859,
Champion of Law and Order in
Jefferson Territory; "Advocate of
Faith in emerging Colorado.
Located on neutral ground between
pioneer towns, Denver and Auraria.
Building and press lost in Great
Cherry Creek Flood, May 19, 1864.
Erected 1934 by the State Historical Society of Colorado from the Mrs. J. N. Hall Foundation, commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the founding of Colorado’s first newspaper. (Marker Number 32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the History Colorado marker series.
Location. 39° 44.879′ N, 105° 0.085′ W. Marker is in Denver, Colorado, in Denver County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and 14th Street on Market Street. Touch for map. The marker is located on a concrete wall of a very large planter and because of the weather condition, it nearly blends into the concrete. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1352 Market St, Denver CO 80202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Denver City (within shouting distance of this marker); Denver's Old City Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Constitution Hall (about 700 feet away); Larimer Street (about 700 feet away); Barney Ford Building (about 800 feet away); 15th / Wazee Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wynkoop Street RR Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Manny's Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denver.
Categories. • Communications • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,806 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 27, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.