Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Warren A. Candler Hospital
In 1835 a new charter was obtained for the institution.
During the War Between the States a portion of the Hospital was used for the care of Confederate soldiers. In the area to the rear a stockade was erected in 1864, around the great oak that still stands there, for confinement of Union prisoners.
After Sherman`s occupation of Savannah and until 1866 the building served as a Union hospital.
The name was changed in 1872 to Savannah Hospital. From 1871 to 1888 the Savannah Medical College was located here.
In 1876 the building was completely renovated. However, the structure of the 1819 building was retained and remains as the nucleus of the present hospital. In 1931 the facilities were acquired by the Methodist Church, and the name changed to honor Bishop Warren A. Candler.
Erected 1964 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-84.)
Marker series. This Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 4.137′ N, 81° 5.651′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Huntingdon Street near Drayton Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Savannah's Marine Corps Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Former Home of Henry R. Jackson (about 600 feet away); Forsyth Park (about 600 feet away); Armstrong Junior College (about 600 feet away); Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church Centennial (about 700 feet away); Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Massie Common School House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafayette McLaws (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . Candler Hospital History. Candler Hospital moved to a new location in 1980. (Submitted on February 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 7,118 times since then and 159 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 27, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on February 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.