Bayfield in Bayfield County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Memorial to Commercial Fishermen of Bayﬁeld
Commissioned by Edwin Erickson,
Mayor of Bayfield, 1970-1976 & 1980-1988
Designed by Harold Kerr (1909-1981)
Constructed by Brian Kerr and Erickson Marine
The pilings were salvaged from the steamer “Ireland” which ran aground at Gull Island. The anchor chain came from the “Pretoria” which sank off Outer Island in 1905. The timbers are part of the ore dock at Ashland. The largest piece of sandstone came from Outer Island while the other stones were brought from Sand, Oak, Manitou, Cat, and Outer Islands.
Location. 46° 48.687′ N, 90° 48.788′ W. Marker is in Bayfield, Wisconsin, in Bayfield County. Marker is on Front Street north of Rittenhouse Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 Front St., Bayfield WI 54814, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bayfield Historic Waterfront (about The Booth Cooperage (about 400 feet away); Schooner Pretoria (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Turning Point in Place and Time (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madeline Island (approx. 2½ miles away); Early Vessels (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Madeline Island (approx. 6.8 miles away); Hokenson Brothers Fishery (approx. 10 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bayfield.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 24, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.