Near Fall River Mills in Shasta County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Established July 1, 1857 by Lieut' George Crook and Command for the protection of the immigrants and settlers. Later occupied by Capt John W Gardner and Capt McGregor.
The boundaries of this fort were designated as one mile in every direction from the flag pole.
Abandoned June 1, 1869
Erected 1934 by Fort Crook Historical Society, Fall River Mills, November 11, 1934.
Location. 41° 5.318′ N, 121° 30.861′ W. Marker is near Fall River Mills, California, in Shasta County. Marker is on McArthur Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fall River Mills CA 96028, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain Dick and Richard Pugh ( here, next to this marker); Glenburn Community Church ( approx. 2.3 miles away); Lockhart Ferry ( approx. 7 miles away); The Civilian Conservation Corps: A Surviving Legacy ( approx. 8.8 miles away); Burney Falls ( approx. 8.9 miles away); Site of the First School in Fall River Valley ( approx. 9.3 miles away).
Regarding Fort Crook. Nothing
Fort Crook is registered as a California Historical Landmark (No. 355).
Also see . . . Historic California Posts: Fort Crook (Camp Hollenbush). At the bottom of this link's page is a picture of the marker and an old fort building, which apparently was the model for the artwork on this marker. (Submitted on August 18, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,195 times since then and 156 times this year. Last updated on July 25, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.