Near Front Royal in Warren County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Belle Boyd and Jackson
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number JD-1.)
Location. 38° 54.03′ N, 78° 12.958′ W. Marker is near Front Royal, Virginia, in Warren County. Marker is on Stonewall Jackson Highway (U.S. 340) south of the northern entrance to Skyline Drive, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at the entrance to the Skyline Caverns attraction. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10344 Stonewall Jackson Hwy, Front Royal VA 22630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belle Boyd (approx. 0.7 miles away); William E. Carson (approx. 0.9 miles away); Prospect Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mosby's Men (approx. 1.4 miles away); Warren County High School and Massive Resistance (approx. 1˝ miles away); Warren County Confederate Memorial The Warren County Courthouse (approx. 1.7 miles away); Warren County 9/11 Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Front Royal.
Regarding Belle Boyd and Jackson. This marker is one of several from a driving tour of the Front Royal Battlefield. The markers are listed in sequence on the Battle of Front Royal Virtual Tour by Markers link below.
Also see . . .
1. Belle Boyd, in Camp and Prison, Vol. 1. 1865 autobiography of Isabelle Boyd (1844–1900). Republished digitally by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. (Submitted on October 7, 2006.)
2. Belle Boyd, in Camp and Prison, Vol. 2. (Submitted on October 7, 2006.)
3. Captain Belle Boyd, La Belle Rebelle. This website includes a photograph. (Submitted on October 7, 2006.)
4. Battle of Front Royal Virtual Tour by Markers. (Submitted on November 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
5. The Shenandoah Spy by Francis Hamit. First part in a serialized novel about Belle Boyd, famous as “The Rebel Spy” and “The Cleopatra of the Secession” and others in the Confederate Secret Service. On Amazon.com. (Submitted on October 7, 2006.)
6. Skyline Caverns. (Submitted on October 7, 2006.)
Additional keywords. General Thomas J. Jackson, Colonel John R. Kenly, Major-General Nathaniel P. Banks
Categories. • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,086 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on July 30, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.