Cuylerville in Livingston County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Little Beard's Town
(Where the Hill is Near)
This principal village of the Senecas was destroyed in 1779 and was the farthest point reached by General John Sullivan and an army of four thousand men acting under direct orders of George Washington Commander-In-Chief.
This Campaign laid waste the Indian lands and so broke the offensive powers of the British-Tory-Indian Alliance against New York and Pennsylvania, extended the boundaries of the United States, revealed the fertile country of the Genesee and resulted in its early pioneer settlement.
Erected 1929 by State of New York and the Livingston County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Sullivan-Clinton Expedition Against the Iroquois Indians marker series.
Location. 42° 46.604′ N, 77° 51.716′ W. Marker is in Cuylerville, New York, in Livingston County. Marker can be reached from Cuylerville Road (U.S. 20A) ¼ mile west of Barrett Road. Touch for map. This marker is on the backside (from the road) of a large boulder in the east end of Boyd-Parker Park. Marker is in this post office area: Leicester NY 14481, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Routes of the Armies (here, next to this marker); The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association (a few steps from this marker); Boyd – Parker (within shouting distance of this marker); This wayside shrine marks the place (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); National Hotel (approx. half a mile away); A-cn-do-wa-nuh (approx. 1.5 miles away); Boyd-Parker (approx. 1.7 miles away); Leicester Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuylerville.
More about this marker. There is another marker commemorating the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign in general on the front of the boulder.
Categories. • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 2, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.