Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Walthourville in Long County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Walthourville Presbyterian Church

 
 
Walthourville Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
1. Walthourville Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. This church was the first colony to go out from old Midway Congregational Church. The first building was erected in 1820 on land donated by Andrew Walthour. The present one, constructed near the original site in 1884, replaced buildings destroyed by fire and storm. Walthourville Presbyterian Church was organized in 1855. First pastors were the Rev. John Jones, supply, the Rev. Robert S. Mallard; elders, William Q. Baker, Thomas S. Mallard; deacons, David A. Miller, Thomas W. Quarterman. Second in size in Georgia Presbytery in 1861, this church led in benevolent gifts. The original site for Walthourville Cemetery nearby was donated by William D. Bacon in 1872.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 45′ N, 81° 36.817′ W. Marker is near Walthourville, Georgia, in Long County. Marker is at the intersection of Tibet Road and Sandy Run Road, on the right when traveling south on Tibet Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Walthourville GA 31333, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the
Walthourville Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
2. Walthourville Presbyterian Church and Marker
crow flies. Walthourville Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); City of Walthourville History (approx. 1.9 miles away); Pleasant Grove African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and Camp Meeting (approx. 3.1 miles away); Skirmish at Hinesville (approx. 6.4 miles away); Old Liberty County Jail (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bradwell Park (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Bacon-Fraser House (approx. 6.8 miles away); Liberty County (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walthourville.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mis-numbered; 089 indicates Liberty County. The marker is actually 1/10 mile south of the Liberty County line in Long County, and should be numbered 091.
 
Regarding Walthourville Presbyterian Church. This is one of the three daughter churches of Midway Congregational Church at Midway, Georgia, dating from 1752. The others are the Flemington Presbyterian Church and the Dorchester Presbyterian Church, both in Liberty County.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Walthourville Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
3. Walthourville Presbyterian Church
Walthourville Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
4. Walthourville Presbyterian Church
The Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 6, 1987.
Ancient Oak Trees at Walthourville Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
5. Ancient Oak Trees at Walthourville Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 7, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement