Lexington in Fayette County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Lewis And Clark In Kentucky
William Clark In Lexington/Meriwether Lewis In Lexington
William Clark in Lexington
Clark, coleader of the 1803-1806 Lewis and Clark Expedition, and his family spent October 30, 1809, at Lexington's Traveler's Hall, operated by Cuthbert Banks. Clark also visited expedition member George Shannon, who was attending Transylvania University. Over.
Meriwether Lewis in Lexington
On Jan. 20, 1808, Lewis, coleader of the 1830-1806 Lewis and Clark Expedition, attended a dinner in his honor at Wilson's Inn, where locals gave 22 toasts. Lewis was passing through Ky. after he was named gov. of La. Territory. Over.
Heritage Foundation, National Park Service, Ky. Lewis & Clark
Bicentennial Commission, Lexington History Museum.
Erected 2006 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2219.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 2.749′ N, 84° 29.808′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Kentucky, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 421, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 E Main St, Lexington KY 40507, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Phoenix Park (a few steps from this marker); Rotary Club of Lexington / Phoenix Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Street Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Skuller's Clock (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jefferson Davis (about 700 feet away); John Hunt Morgan (1825-1864) (about 700 feet away); Slavery in Fayette Co. / Cheapside Slave Auction Block (about 800 feet away); Fayette County (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.