Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
American Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Franklintown Chapel

 
 
Franklintown Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 12, 2012
1. Franklintown Chapel Marker
Inscription. The Franklintown community was first populated by ex-slaves from the Samuel Harrison plantation. Franklintown Chapel's congregation was organized in 1880 by Trinity M.E. Church, located in the City of Fernandina at the north end of Amelia Island. The Reverend J.G. Howard served as the chapel's first pastor from 1880-1885.As the congrgation grew, in 1888 ex-slave and Union soldier Gabriel Means and his wife, Edith Drummond Means, donated land for a building. In 1892, Means built the first Franklin Chapel, a one - room, unpainted frame structure. In 1949, that building was demolished to make way for the construction of State Road A1A, and a new building was constructed. In 1972, following the purchase of the entire Franklintown tract by the Amelia Island Company, the 1949 building along with the original bell from 1892 chapel was moved to the American Beach community. American Beach had been established as an African-American ocean playground in 1935 by the Afro-American Life Insurance Company's Pension Bureau under its president Abraham Lincoln Lewis. Today, Franklintown Chapel serves as the Gabriel Lincoln Means Fellowship Hall for the adjacent Franklintown United Methodist Church.

A Florida Heritage Site

 
Erected 2012 by The American Beach Property
Franklintown Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 12, 2012
2. Franklintown Chapel and Marker
and adjacent Franklintown United Methodist Church
Owners' Association, Inc and The Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F- 737.)
 
Location. 30° 34.385′ N, 81° 27.179′ W. Marker is in American Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is on Lewis Street near 1st Coastal Highway (State Road A1A), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on Amelia Island. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1415 Lewis Street, Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Martha's Hideaway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic American Beach (approx. half a mile away); American Beach at the Crossroads (approx. half a mile away); A Dune System Called "NaNa" (approx. half a mile away); First Home on American Beach (approx. half a mile away); Mount Olive Baptist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Sawpit Bluff Plantation (approx. 4.1 miles away); Peck High School (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in American Beach.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Industry & Commerce
 
Franklintown Chapel and Marker along Lewis Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 12, 2012
3. Franklintown Chapel and Marker along Lewis Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 19, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement