Fort Smith in Sebastian County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Oﬃcer’s Quarters
Fire destroyed both Officer’s Quarters in 1865 and 1870. In 2000, the National Park Service placed the concrete pads here to show the approximate locations and floor plans of both buildings.
Following the Civil War, the U.S. Army constructed a dome-shaped cistern between the two officer's quarters. This underground storage tank is 22 feet deep and holds 55,000 gallons of water. The cistern, enlisted men's barracks and the commissary are the only structures remaining from the second Fort period (1838-1871).
Captain Samuel Sturgis,
Commander at Fort Smith, 1859-1861,
Officer's wives and children shared the trials and tribulations of military life with their husbands and fathers. At Fort Smith, Sturgis' son, Jack was badly burned when two other boys accidentally exploded twelve pounds of gunpowder. Jack carried a facial scar until his death as a lieutenant
Erected by Fort Smith National Historic Site National Park Services, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 35° 23.299′ N, 94° 25.834′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is on Parker Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Parker Avenue, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Defending Freedom (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederates Occupy The Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); Belle Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Meeting of Nations (within shouting distance of this marker); Officer’s Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Executions at Fort Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gallows (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Smith.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 21, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.