Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hermann in Gasconade County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Gasconade County Courthouse

 
 
Gasconade County Courthouse Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 8, 2012
1. Gasconade County Courthouse Historical Marker
Inscription. Gasconade County was created by an act of Missouri legislature, November 25, 1820. Daniel Morgan Boone, son of Daniel Boone, was appointed the first commissioner of the county to locate the site for the county seat and county jail. Gasconade City was selected as the first county seat. In 1825 the county seat was moved to Bartonville in what is now Osage county. The County seat was moved to Mount Sterling in 1828, and in 1842 it was moved to Hermann at which time the first building was built on this site. The present building was dedicated in 1898. This building was a gift by Charles D. Eitzen, a local merchant, who left $50,000 in his will for the new building. It is believed to be the only courthouse in the United States built entirely with private funds.
 
Location. 38° 42.422′ N, 91° 26.183′ W. Marker is in Hermann, Missouri, in Gasconade County. Marker is on East 1st Street 0.1 miles east of Market Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 East 1st Street, Hermann MO 65041, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Maria Waechter House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gustav Wohlt House (within shouting distance of this
Gasconade County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 8, 2012
2. Gasconade County Courthouse
marker); The Robyn House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hermann: Germania's Liberator (about 400 feet away); Hermann (about 500 feet away); The Concert Hall and Barrel Bar (about 500 feet away); Pommer-Gentner House (about 500 feet away); Hermann Honor Roll World War II (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hermann.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Gasconade County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 8, 2012
3. Gasconade County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement