Constitution Island in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built in early 1776, Marine Battery was destroyed in October 1777. The following year the battery was partially reconstructed on the surviving rampart to protect the Great Chain, which was probably anchored in the cove below.
This 10 foot thick rampart is entirely of stone, with mortarless stone masonry on both its interior and exterior retaining walls. The inner and outer walls of the 1776 parapet were made of logs, the space between them filled with fascines and earth. Behind the rampart is a stone foundation which was the rear support of a 16 foot wide wooden platform for the cannon; its front support was a ledge at the top of the rampartís inner wall. In 1776 the battery contained eight cannon (7 nine-pounders and 1 six-pounder).
Location. 41° 24.094′ N, 73° 57.147′ W. Marker is in Constitution Island, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on the west side of Constitution Island, at the U.S. Military Academy. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Point NY 10996, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Constitution Area (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Chain Romansí Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Constitution Island (about 400 feet away); Fortress West Point (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named The Great Chain (about 400 feet away); Anna B. Warner Memorial Garden (about 400 feet away); The Warner House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Constitution Island.
Also see . . . The Revolutionary War on Constitution Island. The Constitution Island Association website. (Submitted on August 25, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Marine Battery.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 25, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.