Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
S.W. Angle of Fort Wood
East Salient of Outer Line.
(Marker Number MT-59.)
Location. 35° 2.708′ N, 85° 17.566′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Vine Street east of Palmetto Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. This historic marker is located in the Historic Fort Wood District, in front of a residence, affixed to a cut stone, at the top of a stone embankment, on the left hand side of the stairway going up the embankment, to the front door of the residence. Marker is at or near this postal address: 849 Vine Street, Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Steele Home for Needy Children (approx. 0.2 miles away); To the Memory of Our Confederate Dead (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bessie Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walden Hospital (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); A Point in the Line of Works (approx. 0.6 miles away); Chattanooga National Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding S.W. Angle of Fort Wood.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on July 20, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.