Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fair-Rutherford House / Rutherford House
The Fair-Rutherford House, a Greek Revival cottage, stood here from ca. 1850 until it was demolished in 2004. Built for Dr. Samuel Fair, it passed through several owners before 1905, when William H. Rutherford (1852-1910) bought and enlarged it. Rutherford, an African-American businessman born a slave, taught school, then made lodge regalia and supplies and briefly co-owned a local cigar factory.
The Rutherford House was built in 1924-25 for Carrie Rutherford, daughter-in-law of W.H. Rutherford. Her son Dr. Harry B. Rutherford, Jr. (1911-1980) and his wife Dr. Evaretta Sims Rutherford (1910-1978) were prominent educators, he as a teacher and principal and later a dean at Benedict College, and she as a professor and department chair at Benedict College and Howard University. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Erected 2012 by The Historic Columbia Foundation, the City of Columbia, and the S.C. Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 40-158.)
Location. 34° 0.443′ N, 81° 1.398′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Washington Street near Gregg Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1330 Gregg Street, Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Chesnut Cottage" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gregg Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesley Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilson Boyhood House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waverly (approx. ¼ mile away); The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray (approx. ¼ mile away); Carver Theatre (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
More about this marker. Although printed and casted as 2011, marker was erected in 2012
Regarding Fair-Rutherford House / Rutherford House. National Register of Historic Places:
Fair-Rutherford and Rutherford Houses (added 1984 - - #84002093)
Also known as Rutherford House;Palmetto Dental Services
1326 and 1330 Gregg St. , Columbia
♦ Historic Significance: Event
♦ Area of Significance: Black, Education, Industry
♦ Period of Significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
♦ Current Sub-function: Single Dwelling
The Fair-Rutherford House and the Rutherford House are one- and two-story residences, respectively; the former was erected ca. 1850 on land owned by Dr.Samuel Fair and underwent three alterations during the following century (ca. 1879, ca. 1905, and ca. 1950), and the latter was built in 1924-25. Both houses are significant in Columbia black history because of their association with the advancement of the Rutherford family from slavery to prominence and respect. Over the years, both male and female members of this African American family living in these houses have been business owners, professionals and educators, among them, Dr. Evaretta Sims Rutherford, an educator and Fulbright scholar who wrote, co-authored, or edited six books in the field of African studies. William H. Rutherford’s business had prospered sufficiently by 1905 to permit him to acquire the Fair-Rutherford House as a rental property; his son Harry B. Rutherford, Sr. expanded the family’s holdings with the purchase of the 1330 Gregg St. property in 1914. By 1925 the family had built an imposing residence on the 1330 lot adjacent to the Fair-Rutherford House.
William H. and Harry B., Sr. operated independent manufacturing businesses when most blacks in the nation were laborers or worked in service-related occupations. Later
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.