Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Peter's Church

(Episcopal)

 
 
St. Peter's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 12, 2012
1. St. Peter's Church Marker
Inscription. The church was organized as a mission in 1858 and was consecrated the following year by the Rt. Rev. Francis Huger Rutledge, first Bishop of Florida. During the War it was used by Federal forces occupying Fernandina and many of its interior possessions were lost. The building was restored to sacred use during the Reconstruction Period, but was destroyed by fire in 1892. The present neo-Gothic church was completed in 1893.
 
Erected 1961 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-50.)
 
Location. 30° 40.246′ N, 81° 27.509′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is on Atlantic Avenue (State Route 200) (State Road A1A) near 8th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on Amelia Island, Historic Fernandina Beach. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Atlantic Avenue, Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Zion Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); Memorial United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church
St. Peter's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 12, 2012
2. St. Peter's Church Marker
(about 700 feet away); Nassau County American Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nassau County Historic Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lesesne House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866 (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
 
Regarding St. Peter's Church. "In 1974 the Historic American Buildings Survey produced detailed line drawings of St. Peterís Church, which are today housed in the Library of Congress."

"Major renovation and repair work was performed during the 1980ís and 1990ís. The church exterior was reworked, the stained glass windows were removed, restored and replaced with a protective exterior covering, and the Harrison organ was restored. The roof was replaced with every effort made to match the original design and color."
 
Also see . . .  From the St. Peter''s Church website:. "Often called "The Jewel of Centre Street" this church is a textbook example of Gothic Revival architecture designed by noted architect Robert Sands Schuyler. It features lancet, arch-shaped
St. Peter's Church Marker, on Atlantic Avenue State Routes A1A / 200 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 12, 2012
3. St. Peter's Church Marker, on Atlantic Avenue State Routes A1A / 200
windows, a steeply pitched roof, buttressed walls and a tower with a castellated parapet. The tabby walls are 18" thick and overlaid with cement. Originally constructed 1881-84, it was severely damaged by fire in 1892, resulting in some minor changes to its appearance: the original spire was not rebuilt, but elaborate entrances were added, along with the chien assi ("sitting dog") windows in the roof. Following the fire, the east end of the church was extended 7 feet to provide space for an elaborate Harrison pipe organ which was dedicated on the evening of November 14, 1893." (Submitted on August 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Peter's Church Marker along Atlantic Avenue near 8th Street intersection image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 12, 2012
4. St. Peter's Church Marker along Atlantic Avenue near 8th Street intersection
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement