Columbia in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
of Prospecting Miners
John Walker found gold near here on March 27, 1850, which led to the founding of Columbia
Location. 38° 1.969′ N, 120° 24.025′ W. Marker is in Columbia, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is at the intersection of Columbia Street and Main Street on Columbia Street. Touch for map. This marker is located in the picnic area at Columbia and Main Streets. It is laid in the ground and not easy to see. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia CA 95310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scraping the Rocks Clean ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Donnell & Parsons Building ( about 400 feet away); Eagle Cotage ( about 500 feet away); Columbia Masonic Temple ( about 500 feet away); Hon. Jesse M. Mayo ( about 600 feet away); A Home for Immigrants ( about 600 feet away); Wilson/McConnell House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Water, Precious as Gold ( approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . History of Columbia. On March 27, 1850, Dr. Thaddeus Hildreth, with his brother George and a handful of other prospectors, made camp near here. They found gold, and miners streamed in to share the wealth. Before the month was out Hildreth's Diggings, a tent and shanty town housing several thousand miners, was created. (Submitted on August 27, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.