Copperopolis in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Madame Felix Mining District produced 200,000 ounces of gold between 1864 and 1974.
The 1986, Meridian Gold Co. consolidated the Madame Felix Mining District into a new gold mining operation, producing more than 300,000 additional ounces of gold.
This equipment, used from the 1880’s through WWI, came from the mines within the Madame Felix District and was donated by Meridian Gold Co.
Location. 37° 58.917′ N, 120° 38.561′ W. Marker is in Copperopolis, California, in Calaveras County. Marker can be reached from Main Street near Baker Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 177 Main Street, Copperopolis CA 95228, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Black Bart at Funk Hill ( a few steps from this marker); The Copperopolis Bell and Cannon ( within shouting distance of this marker); Copperopolis ( approx. ¼ mile away); Congregational Church ( approx. ¼ mile away); Calaveras Telephone Copperopolis ( approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old Corner Saloon ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Thomas McCarty ( approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Copperopolis.
Also see . . . Copperopolis History - The Madam Felix Mining District - Copper Gazette. The Madame Felix Mining District is made up of many small mines. Some of these mines include the Pine Log, Royal, the Royal Consolidated, Hodson, Mountain King, and the Empire. Gold production total was approximately 500,000 ounces from the District before it closed. (Submitted on August 29, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 29, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.