Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
During the Union army's occupation of Chattanooga (Sept. 9, 1863 - Summer 1865), the appearance of the riverfront again changed dramatically. Extensive logging operations stripped trees from the hills along the riverbank. A large sawmill at the base of Cameron Hill turned the felled timber into planks and framing for warehouses and other military structures that were built throughout the town. The army constructed a naval yard st Ross's Landing to repair and maintain the boats that ferried supplies into Chattanooga. Soldiers also built a wooden bridge - the first to span the Tennessee River at Chattanooga (it washed away in a massive flood in 1867).
Escaped slaves lived near the river at Camp Contraband, as
Erected by the Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 3.607′ N, 85° 18.556′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on River Street west of Tremont Street. This historic marker is located along the north side of the river, in a community park, along a river walking trail, almost directly below where the "John Ross Bridge" crosses the Tennessee River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1838 Cherokee Removal & Trail of Tears (a few steps from this marker); Camp Contraband (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); United States Colored Troops (about 300 feet away); Union Block House (about 400 feet away); 1864 Military Bridge (about 500 feet away); Trail of Tears 1790 John Ross 1866 (approx. ¼ mile away); Chattanooga's First Citizens (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Occupied Chattanooga.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.