Near Hamilton in Martin County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
A Mighty Fortress
The high bluffs gave the Confederates a great advantage over Union gunboats and essentially prevented the Federals from moving upriver. The fort was armed with 11 cannons and held provisions for a thousand men. The Confederates began evacuating Fort Branch on April 10, 1865, the day after Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House, Virginia. They pushed the artillery pieces into the river and destroyed the magazine and commissary to keep Union troops from using them.
In May 1865, the U.S. Navy retrieved three of the cannons, but it was not until 1972 that interest in the other eight surfaced. A judicial restraining order prohibited an Alabama group from salvaging three of the guns. After a court battle, the state won custody of the remaining pieces, and
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 55.626′ N, 77° 10.282′ W. Marker is near Hamilton, North Carolina, in Martin County. Marker is on Fort Branch Road (County Route 1416), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at the entrance of Fort Branch Historical Site. Marker is in this post office area: Oak City NC 27857, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Branch ( approx. 1.8 miles away); Asa Biggs House ( approx. 8.1 miles away); Skewarkee Primitive Baptist Church ( approx. 8.5 miles away); Skewarkey Church ( approx. 8.5 miles away); Roanoke River ( approx. 8.7 miles away); Flat Swamp Church ( approx. 9.9 miles away); Locke Craig ( approx. 12.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Fort Branch Civil War Site (Submitted on September 3, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.