Near Gaffney in Cherokee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Goucher Baptist Church
This church, the oldest in the Broad River Association, was founded in 1770 and was first called Thicketty Branch Baptist Church. After meeting in a brush arbor and area houses, it built its first permanent church, a log building, about 1 mi. N. Another log church replaced it on that site shortly after the Revolution, and the congregation was renamed Goshen Baptist Church in 1794.
The church, renamed Goucher Creek Baptist Church by 1800, acquired this site in 1883. A frame sanctuary here was replaced by a larger frame church in 1902. The congregation was renamed Goucher Baptist Church by 1930. Services were once a month until 1917, then twice a month until Rev. C.C. Alsbrooks became its first full-time pastor in 1949. The present church was built in 1960.
Erected 2011 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 11 - 11.)
Location. 34° 58.313′ N, 81° 42.548′ W. Marker is near Gaffney, South Carolina, in Cherokee County. Marker is on Goucher Creek Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415, Gaffney SC 29340, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whig Hill (approx. 3½ miles away); Nuckolls-Jefferies House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Mulberry Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Littlejohn Family Reunion (approx. 4.4 miles away); Marysville School (approx. 4.7 miles away); Pacolet River Heritage Preserve (approx. 5 miles away); Cowpens Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Cowpens Depot (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.