The Berlin Wall
In 1949, the Western powers established West Germany by uniting their three occupation zones. Moscow responded by creating East Germany. As time passed, West Berlin, an island of Western prosperity within the Soviet bloc, became an even greater irritation to the Soviets. By 1961, three million East Germans had fled to the West.
In the early morning of August 13, 1961, 28 miles of barbed wire coils were stretched along the border between East and West Berlin, in an attempt to end the flow of refugees. Once the Soviets were certain the West would not destroy the temporary barricade, work began on a permanent concrete barrier. This wall became the physical manifestation of the "Iron Curtain", referred to by Winston Churchill in his 1946 "Sinews of Peace" address at Westminster College.
The "Iron Curtain" was no more, and the re-unification of the divided Germany ensued.
Location. 38° 50.991′ N, 91° 57.3′ W. Marker is in Fulton, Missouri, in Callaway County. Marker is on West 7th Street just west of Westminster Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fulton MO 65251, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Winston Churchill Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); The Winston Churchill Memorial and Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Robertson Historic District (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); President Robert L. D. Davidson (about 500 feet away); William Chrisman Swope Memorial Chapel
Categories. • Notable Events • War, Cold •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 419 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 6. submitted on November 24, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.