Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Philips Congregational Church

 
 
Old Philips Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 2, 2012
1. Old Philips Congregational Church Marker
Inscription. Constructed in c. 1887, the Old Philips Congregational Church is one of the few remaining structures dating from the old Philips Community. Later erased by twentieth century sub-divisions, this rural 19th century community was named after Albert Gallatin Philips, owner of nearby Red Bank Plantation. Although the actual construction date is not known, it appears that the current building, based on its "Carpenter Gothic" style and materials, was constructed soon after the Philips Congregational Society acquired the property in June of 1886. Through the joint efforts of District Council members, Matt Carlucci, and Reggie Fullwood, the City of Jacksonville in 2001 purchased this historic church to house the United Community of Outreach Ministries (UCOM).
 
Erected by City of Jacksonville Florida.
 
Location. 30° 17.524′ N, 81° 38.634′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is at the intersection of St Augustine Road and Kingswood Road, on the right when traveling north on St Augustine Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3349 St Augustine Road, Jacksonville FL 32207, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Philips ~ Craig Swamp Cemetery
Old Philips Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 2, 2012
2. Old Philips Congregational Church Marker
(approx. mile away); Oriental Gardens (approx. 0.3 miles away); Villa Alexandria (approx. 0.9 miles away); San Marco (approx. one mile away); Millers Creek (approx. 1.4 miles away); Historic King's Road British East Florida (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site of Cow Ford (approx. 2.3 miles away); Duval County's First Court (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Old Philips Congregational Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 2, 2012
3. Old Philips Congregational Church and Marker
Old Philips Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 2, 2012
4. Old Philips Congregational Church Marker
The marker is seen here at the intersection of St Augustine Road and Kingswood Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement