The White Haven Estate: Other Houses
Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Julia's brother Louis built Wish-ton=Wish (a Native American word for whippoorwill) in 1848. It served as a temporary home for Ulysses and Julia in 1855 and on their visits to St. Louis during Grant's presidency. Fire destroyed the house in 1873.
Ulysses built a house in 1856 on 80 acres that Colonel Dent gave the Grants as a wedding gift, although no deed legalized the transfer. Julia did not like the crude log cabin, facetiously named Hardscrabble. They lived there only three months, returning to the main house upon Mrs. Dent;s death. The cabin is now located at Grant's Farm.
This slave cabin from a neighboring farm is typical of cabins in the area. Documents indicate that as many as twelve slave cabins were located behind the main house, perhaps across the small creek in what is today Forest Haven subdivision. Later records suggest that these cabins were demolished during Grant's ownership.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Slaves Only (here, next to this marker); White Haven's Outbuildings (here, next to this marker); The Working Farm (here, next to this marker); Early Owners of the Farm (here, next to this marker); New Buildings for White Haven (here, next to this marker); The Roads to White Haven (here, next to this marker); Green Haven? (here, next to this marker); White Haven (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.