Early Owners of the Farm
Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
William L. Long
William Long began construction of the two-story portion of the house about 1816, shortly after his marriage. The Longs did not complete the home before selling it in 1818.
Theodore & Anne Lucas Hunt
Theodore and Anne Hunt purchased the farm on the Gravois in 1818 as a refuge from the city, where Anne's brother had been killed in a duel. The Hunts finished the house and added two rooms at the rear.
Frederick T. & Ellen Wrenshall Dent
Frederick Dent and his wife Ellen purchased the property in 1820, soon making it their primary residence. Their additions included a basement winter kitchen and a first floor sitting room.
Ulysses S. & Julia Dent Grant
Julia, the Dents' eldest daughter, grew up at White Haven. During the early years of her marriage to Ulysses Grant, they lived here off and on. Their emotional
Location. 38° 33.125′ N, 90° 21.094′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri, in Saint Louis County. Marker can be reached from Grant Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7400 Grant Road, Saint Louis MO 63123, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Slaves Only (here, next to this marker); White Haven's Outbuildings (here, next to this marker); The White Haven Estate: Other Houses (here, next to this marker); The Working Farm (here, next to this marker); New Buildings for White Haven (here, next to this marker); The Roads to White Haven (here, next to this marker); Green Haven? (here, next to this marker); White Haven (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.