Lexington in Fayette County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
Founded 1784. Oldest congregation in continuous existence in city. Founders were hunting party members who selected cityís site and named it Lexington in honor of first battle of the American Revolution. First pastor Adam Rankinís home, oldest house in Lexington at 317 South Mill St., built in 1784. Over
Abraham Lincoln attended several services during the pastorate of Robert J. Breckinridge, 1847-53, initiating a lifelong friendship. This building, sixth home of the congregation, designed by Elder Cincinnatus Shryock, completed in 1872. It was considered his Gothic masterpiece. Renovated in 2007; received preservation award.
Erected 2008 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2277.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 2.965′ N, 84° 29.82′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Kentucky, in Fayette County. Marker is on North Mill Street 0.1 miles south of West 2nd Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 174 N Mill St, Lexington KY 40507, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Henry Clay's Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington Public Library 1905 - 1989 / A Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morgan House (about 300 feet away); Samuel Brown, M.D. (1769 - 1830) (about 300 feet away); Hunt-Morgan House (about 400 feet away); Silversmith Shop (about 500 feet away); U.S. Vice President (about 600 feet away); Thomas Hunt Morgan / Genetic Research (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church - Church History. (Submitted on September 6, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.