Evening Shade in Sharp County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Sharp County Court House
Erected 1936 by Arkansas History Commission. (Marker Number F. 1-1.)
Location. 36° 4.278′ N, 91° 37.142′ W. Marker is in Evening Shade, Arkansas, in Sharp County. Marker is on West Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Evening Shade AR 72532, United States of America.
Regarding Sharp County Court House. Within a few years after the forming of the county, the first court house was build on land donated by John Wesley Shaver, of Evening Shade. It was a frame building and stood on the same site as the stone structure, which was built after the first building was destroyed by fire. It is not known who the contractor or commissioners were. However, the work was directed by a Yankee named Smith, from Connecticut, who had supervised the erection of other buildings in the town. It was 50 ft square with offices on each side of a hallway on the first floor, and a court room above. It was made of selected pine lumber, "all heart"
Additional keywords. Court House
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2012, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 4, 2012, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.