Santa Clara in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Settling of Santa Clara / First Public Buildings / Missionaries and Settlers
In April 1861 a company of Mormon converts from Switzerland, under the direction of mission president Jabez Woodward, bade farewell to their native land and set out for Zion in the new world of Western America. They traveled to Liverpool, England where they sailed for America. Landing in New York, they took the train to Florence, Nebraska and stayed there several days, making preparations for crossing the plains.
They carried only the essentials of food, clothing, and cooking utensils for the anticipated ten-week journey. Six days a week they traveled, making some 15 to 20 miles a day. On Sundays they held a religious service and the balance of the day was devoted to rest. Traveling all the through the summer, they arrived at Salt Lake City in September where they remained for several weeks.
At the October 1861 conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Brigham Young called a total of 309 missionaries to southern Utah. Included in this total was the Swiss Company consisting of 87 Swiss people living in various parts of northern Utah. When they arrived in the south, they were told to go
The settlers braved wind, rain, heat, floods, and disease - living in humble dugouts until homes were built; orchards, gardens, and fields were planted; and the prosperous village came to life.
The success of that mission is evident in the beautiful community you see here today. Many descendendants of those original Swiss pioneers still live in Santa Clara.
Behold the work of the old. Let your heritage not be lost, but bequeath it as a memory, treasure, and blessing. Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children. -Christian Metz
Prior to 1861
[Note: On the Marker are listed the names of 157 individuals who came to Santa Clara prior to 1861.]
Erected 1994 by The Santa Clara Historical Society.
Location. 37° 7.985′ N, 113° 39.211′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is on West Santa Clara Drive 0.1 miles west of Victors Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Clara UT 84765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hug-Gubler Home (a few steps from this marker); Santa Clara Relief Society House (a few steps from this marker); John George and Susette Bosshard Hafen Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick and Anna Reber Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Preston and Vella Ruth Hafen Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Swiss Colony (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Clara Merc (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Clara Tithing Granary (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Clara.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.