Santa Clara in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Frederick and Anna Reber Home
The Frederick and Anna Reber home was built in 1870 and was one of only a few two-storied homes along the main street. It is an example of Greek Revival, double-cell architecture. Identifying features are a gabled roof of low pitch with a two-part cornice line along the main roof. The entry porch, also representative of the Greek Revival style, has prominent, squared Doric columns. The style is categorized with others as "Classical."
The home saw a host of Reber family members come and go through its doors. A constant succession of renters created an additional flow of residents. During the first half of the Twentieth Century, many a newly married Santa Clara couple spent their first years living here, and in the midst of World War II, families lived here waiting for loved ones to return home. Perhaps more than any other home in Santa Clara, this
Double-cell building construction.
"The double-cell house is composed of two square or roughly square units arranged axially. It may be one, one and one-half, or two stories tall and usually has a façade with two front doors and either two or four windows arranged symmetrically. Chimneys may be located at the gable ends or in the center of the house. The presence of the tow doors has often led to the conclusion that the double-cell house was a uniquely Utah form developed for polygamous families—one door, that is, for each wife. While in fact the house type did lend itself to multifamily living situations, the double-cell house is a common American form in the South and Midwest, with the double doors providing a balance of openings on the principle façade."
Carter, Thomas and Peter Goss. Utah's Historic Architecture, 1847-1940: A Guide. SLC, UT. University of Utah Graduate School of Architecture and Utah State Historical Society, 1991.
Location. 37° 7.981′ N, 113° 39.188′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of West Santa Clara Drive and Victors Street, on the right when traveling west on West Santa Clara Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2988 West Santa Clara Drive, Santa Clara UT 84765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Preston and Vella Ruth Hafen Home (within shouting distance of this marker); The Settling of Santa Clara / First Public Buildings / Missionaries and Settlers (within shouting distance of this marker); Hug-Gubler Home (within shouting distance of this marker); John George and Susette Bosshard Hafen Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Clara Relief Society House (within shouting distance of this marker); Swiss Colony (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Clara Merc (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Clara Tithing Granary (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Clara.
Also see . . . Washington County Historical Society. The Frederick and Anna M. Reber House, built c. 1870s is a two-story, stucco, Greek Revival-style house on a stone foundation with an asphalt-shingle-covered, gable roof. The house is a double-cell plan, although it gained a few additions over the ensuing years. The Greek Revival styling belies an earlier construction date, but older architectural styles tended to persist in the more rural communities of Utah. (Submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.