Fort Jackson, Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
31st Inf Division
The "Dixie" Division, created in 1917, spent most of World War II as a training division, with some units training at Ft. Jackson, but later saw combat in the Philippines 1944-45. The postwar "Dixie" Division, composed of National Guard units from Alabama and Mississippi, was mobilized for active service in 1951 and served here as a training division during the Korean War.
Erected 1997 by The 31st Infantry ("Dixie") Division Society. (Marker Number 40-119.)
Location. 34° 0.676′ N, 80° 56.686′ W. Marker is in Fort Jackson, Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Blvd. and Forney Road, on the left when traveling south on Jackson Blvd.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bridge at Remagen Stone ( within shouting distance of this marker); 30th Inf Division ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 4th Infantry Division ( approx. ¼ mile away); 108th Division ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Darby Field 26th Inf Division ( approx. half a mile away); Fort Jackson Elementary School / Hood Street Elementary School ( approx. 0.6 miles away); 8th Infantry Division ( approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Jackson, Columbia.
Also see . . . The 31st Infantry Division was a unit of the Army National Guard in World War I and World War II. WWII Activated: 25 November 1940 (National Guard Division from Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi). (Submitted on September 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.