Fort Gillem in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-AGD-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 37.683′ N, 84° 18.857′ W. Marker is in Fort Gillem, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hood Avenue and Moreland Avenue (U.S. 23), on the right when traveling east on Hood Avenue. Touch for map. The marker stands at McIntosh Gate, the (now-closed) entrance to the former Fort Gillem, now owned by the City of Forest Park. Fort Gillem is a restricted area. Forest Park is just beginning to redevelop the property, and most of the existing buildings will be torn down. The Executive Director of the city’s
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hardee Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler Drive (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hood Avenue (about 400 feet away); Flankers Road (approx. 1½ miles away); Fort Gillem (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Hood Avenue (approx. 2.1 miles away); Iverson Gate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stewart’s & Lee’s A.C. March to Lovejoy’s Sta. (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gillem.
More about this marker. Fort Gillem was designated the Atlanta General Depot at the time the markers were erected, explaining the Georgia Historical Marker numbering. It was renamed the Atlanta Army Depot in 1962, and Fort Gillem in 1973.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 429 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 10, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.