Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beaufort in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Fort

 
 
First Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 2008
1. First Fort Marker
Inscription. On or near this site in the settlement known as Stuart Town stood the "Tight Watch House" erected in 1683-4. After the destruction of the town by the Spanish in 1686 it was replaced by a fort, approximately 100 feet square defended by "9 Great Guns" known as the Beaufort Fort after 1710. It was the main defense of the area until Fort Frederick was erected in 1735.
 
Erected by Beaufort County Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Beaufort County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 32° 25.841′ N, 80° 40.238′ W. Marker is in Beaufort, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Bay Street near Scott Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Bay Street, Beaufort SC 29902, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Verdier House ( within shouting distance of this marker); Richard V. Woods Memorial Bridge ( within shouting distance of this marker); Beaufort South Carolina Tricentennial ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brigadier General Stephen Elliott CSA
First Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 2008
2. First Fort Marker
( about 300 feet away); Beaufort Female Benevolent Society ( about 600 feet away); Beaufort Arsenal ( about 700 feet away); Beaufort County South Carolina ( about 800 feet away); Thomas Heyward, Jr. ( about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaufort.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,356 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement