Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This Victorian structure was then library of "The Oaks," family home of the founders, who were descendants of William H. Jack, a soldier in 1836 Texas victory at San Jacinto and an official of the Republic. First president (1891-1908) of D. R. T. was widow of last Texas president, Anson Jones.
Erected 1962 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8240.)
Location. 29° 17.474′ N, 94° 47.807′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue O 1/2 and 29th Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue O 1/2. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2902 Avenue O 1/2, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hutchings House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Hutchings House (about 500 feet away); Galveston Garten Verein (about 800 feet Galveston Artillery Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Home of Michel Branamour Menard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ursuline Convent in the Civil War (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Ursuline Convent and Academy (approx. 0.3 miles away); Galveston World War I Honor Roll (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas. (Submitted on September 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From the Handbook of Texas. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas (Submitted on September 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.