Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Virginia “Jennie” Gilmer
Virginia "Jennie" Gilmer is widely recognized as the founder of Anderson's first hospital, which over the years evolved into Anmed Health, the largest private not-for-profit health system in South Carolina. Despite less than full support from many of the city's residents, Mrs. Gilmer forged ahead, and construction on the new hospital was begun in 1907. The 25-bed hospital opened on the south side of the present-day Anmed Hospital Center Campus on April 20, 1908.
In 2007, the Scripps Howard Foundation and the Anderson Independent-Mail, in cooperation with the Foothills Community Foundation, sponsored a community wide campaign to raise funds for a memorial honoring Mrs. Gilmer, her vision, and her lasting impact on the community. Sculptor an Wells was commissioned to create this bronze sculpture of the Anmed Health founder. Mrs. Wells worked on the piece for nearly a year using old photographs to capture the likeness and spirit of Mrs. Gilmer with her young child. The sculpture was dedicated on April 20, 2008, to commemorate Anmed Health's 100 years of service to mankind.
Erected 2008 by Scripps Howard Foundation and the Anderson Independent-Mail, in cooperation
Location. 34° 30.733′ N, 82° 38.817′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Fant Street and Greenville Street (South Carolina Highway 81). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 North Fant Street, Anderson SC 29621, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McGee Harness Shop ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Frierson School House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); James Lawrence Orr ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Orr Monument ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Boy High School ( approx. 0.2 miles away); "Old Reformer" Cannon ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Girls High School ( approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Reformer ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Temple B'Nai Isreal ( approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Campaign launched to build statue of Anderson hospital''s founder. Jennie Gilmer continues to touch residents in the Anderson area even though she has been dead since 1962. (Submitted on September 12, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. AnMed celebrates 100 years by unveiling a sculpture of the hospital''s founder. For 100 (Submitted on September 12, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Gilmer Scuplture. AnMed Health unveiled a likeness of its founder, Virginia Lee "Jennie" Gilmer, at a ceremony Sunday, April 20 marking the 100th anniversary of the hospital's opening. (Submitted on September 12, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. AnMed Health Medical Center. AnMed Health Medical Center is a 461-bed acute care hospital at 800 N. Fant St. in Anderson, South Carolina. (Submitted on September 12, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Timeline from Anderson County Hospital to AnMed Health
1939 - Anderson County Hospital opened a 66-bed addition, named the Jennie Gilmer Pavilion in honor of the hospital founder.
1943 - Anderson County Hospital was renamed Anderson Memorial Hospital, in memory of the Anderson area residents who had lost their lives in World War I and World War II.
1947 - The hospital opened the Daniel Wing, a seven-story addition named for hospital trustee Charles E. Daniel. Today, it is the oldest
1961 - Anderson Memorial Hospital opens The North Tower, a seven-story wing that serves as the front door to the Medical Center.
1969 - An eight-story diagnostic and treatment wing was completed, bringing the total bed capacity to 460 beds.
1989- A new cancer treatment center opens, offering advanced radiation therapies.
1990 - AnMed Wellspring, a 27-bed inpatient chemical dependency treatment facility, opens in Williamston.
1991 -The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of a 125-acre tract of land about two miles north of the hospital.
1993 - Anderson Memorial Hospital became Anderson Area Medical Center, a name that reflected the hospital's status as a state-of-the-art regional medical center. The hospital was also designated as the AnMed Health system.
1994 -The AnMed Health Board initiated its community investment program. Over the following years, it provided significant support for activities designed to improve the health of communities served by AnMed Health.
1997 - AnMed Health dedicated the D.K. Oglesby Jr. Center, a 400,000-square-foot outpatient facility on the North Campus.
2001 - Anderson Area Medical Center performed its first open-heart surgery and angioplasty. AnMed Health also became the first healthcare provider in the state to install
2003 - AnMed Health Rehabilitation Hospital opened. The inpatient rehabilitation hospital became the third licensed hospital in the AnMed Health system. That same year, AnMed Health broke ground on a $120 million expansion project at the North Campus. The project included a new Women's and Children's Hospital, a cancer treatment center and a cardiac diagnostic and rehabilitation center.
2005 - AnMed Health Women's and Children's Hospital opens. The board of trustees also voted to change the name of Anderson Area Medical Center to AnMed Health Medical Center. The downtown campus on Fant Street was renamed the Medical Center Campus.
2007 - A new mission, vision and building blocks were introduced to the staff. A $74 million expansion and renovation project begins at the Medical Center.
2008 - AnMed Health celebrates its 100th anniversary.
2009 - AnMed Health signs affiliation agreements with Cannon Memorial Hospital in Pickens, S.C., and Carolinas HealthCare System in Charlotte, N.C., creating a new health care network for the Upstate.
— Submitted September 12, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 12, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.