Near Spotsylvania Courthouse in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1971 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number EM-1.)
Location. 38° 5.338′ N, 77° 47.227′ W. Marker is near Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is on Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 208) near the Douglas Run causeway, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Spotsylvania VA 22551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spotsylvania's War Effort (approx. 2.7 miles away); Spotsylvania’s First African American Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Jerdone Castle (approx. 6.1 miles away); Social and Economic Richness in the Livingston District (approx. Asbury’s Deathplace (approx. 9 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2359 (approx. 9.4 miles away); Penny’s Tavern Site (approx. 9½ miles away); Third Spotsylvania County Courthouse Site (approx. 11.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Extended Research - Fredericksburg Area Markers. “Very little research has been done on Charles Chiswell and his furnace at Fredericksville. The small town of Fredericksville has long been erased from the maps of Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County. The iron works were situated in the southwestern part of Spotsylvania County, about a half a mile from the North Anna River and twenty-four miles from the shipping point on the Rappahannock River. There are no definite dates for the beginning or end of the mine’s operation. Most likely, the Fredericksville furnace began operation between 1723 and 1727.” (Submitted on September 16, 2012.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.